Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bat Girl

Everyone is finally completely well in our house. Lily is running around with a Disney Princess blanket wrapped around herself, yelling "Bat Girl!" Her "cave" is the chair in the living room. She also periodically says "Eeee eeeee eeee" in what I believe is an attempt to copy a bat noise? She has put two foam heart stickers on her face, one on each cheek. I'm not sure if the stickers are general decoration or a part of the whole bat ensemble. Jack tried to talk to her, and she said "I'm not Lily! I'm Bat Lily!" Jack just looked confused. Now he runs up to her and then runs away saying "Ghost! Ghost! Scary!" Interesting how they are both playing together, but they are playing completely different games.

In between his attempts to play with Bat Lily/Ghost Lily, Jack is playing his favorite game, which is to bring me a small container and tell me it's coffee, which I must then pretend to sip while he says "Hot! Hot!" Occasionally he varies the game by accidentally "spilling" the coffee on me and saying "Oh NO! Messy! I spill!"

I'm just sitting here enjoying the show. My happiest time of the day is when both kids are playing together (or next to each other) with no fighting.

The game has taken a turn. Jack was running and shrieking "Eeee eeee eeee" and Lily called him a "Big fat bat head." Jack then went over to the window and said "Making coffee" while pretending to pour something into an empty container. Do you think Jack will end up working as a waitress? He's all about serving coffee.

Uh oh. Jack just ran over to Lily and threw Mr. Potato Head (a.k.a. Tato, according to Jack) at her. Now Lily says "Mama, something's wrong with the bat. EEEeee eeee, Hide!" When I asked her what was going on, she said "I saw a bad critter coming to destroy the house! Get out of the house! A big monster is coming to destroy the house. Come into my bat cave! You'll be safe in there!" Jack ran over and said "Eeee eee, Hide!" and "Bak Cave!" Now he is running and saying "Oooooh, Bat! Bat!" They're finally playing the same game. Lily just let him try on her bat cape/blanket, telling him "It's neato!"

Jack is dragging the blanket and saying "Oooh, oooh, Monsters! Monsters!" After a couple of passes by me, he got tired of dragging the giant blanket, and now he's just running around yelling about monsters without the "bat cape." Lily told him to get out of her house, so apparently they aren't playing together any more.

Now Lily is showing me how she "cleans" the window by pulling on the window cord to get water for washing and also to dry the window. Jack went over to see if he could get in on the action, but Lily threw his paper airplane to draw him away. Oh, now I see. Pulling the cord makes a towel come out for the drying process. After a few minutes, Lily proudly announced to me, "All clean!" and Jack the parrot said "All clean! All clean!" Now Lily is showing him how to clean the window. He paid very careful attention, but then he turned and ran around pretending to be an airplane until he fell on the floor. Lily said "I'll do your job for you." When he heard that, he came back over to the window. Lily said "Your job is all done!" Jack made a few swipes at the window and said "All done. Thank you!"

Now she's showing him how to do it again. Apparently, on Jack's side of the window, you rub a lego block on the window for soap and then squirt the window with a different block. Then "Your work's all done!" she says. Jack copies every move and says "I clean up. Clean up. All done!"

Now if only I could get them to play this game with real cloths and water, I would have one less household chore to take care of.

No comments: