Tuesday, February 26, 2008

In Which Jack Vomits Repeatedly

Just when I thought we were past the months of sickness, Jack got my stomach flu yesterday. I felt so bad for him because my own bout with the flu is still fresh in my mind. He would be fine for a bit, and then he would start writhing on the couch and saying "No...no...no...no" until he threw up. It was awful. Fortunately, Lily was at school all day yesterday, so I just wrapped Jack up in a blanket and sat with him on the couch with a Tupperware container at the ready.

Somewhere around 11 am, he finally fell asleep and got his first real break from vomiting. Shortly after noon, he woke up, said "I hungry!" and got off the couch to run into the kitchen. He came back with a packet of instant oatmeal, an instant noodles and meatball meal that Jim bought for some reason, and a can of Chicken and Stars soup. He laid them on the hassock in front of me and said "I hungry now, Mama!"

I decided to err on the side of caution and gave him ice water and two saltines to eat. He wolfed down the crackers within seconds and said "More. I hungry." He ultimately ate about 15 saltines and drank two cups of water. Then he went into the kitchen and said "I eat jam bread," so I made him a jam sandwich. Then he asked for a bowl of cereal, so I gave him some mini wheats. Even that wasn't enough for him, because he continued to repeat "I hungry, Mama!" for the rest of the afternoon. I would have given him more food, but I was already nervous about the amount he'd just eaten.

His ravenous hunger continued through dinner when he ate all of his meal and some of Lily's. This is my child who barely eats anything, ever. I've never seen him put away so much food in a single day.

He slept pretty well last night, and when he woke up this morning, his appetite was back to normal, which means he ate a small breakfast, a few bites of his lunch and no dinner at all. Based on his usual level of food consumption, he probably ate enough yesterday to last him a month!

No comments: