Sunday, March 23, 2008

I'm a Felting Fanatic


IMG_2299
Originally uploaded by lilybug1
As Jack would say: "WOOK it! WOOK it!"

Look at my pretty knitting basket. After completing Jill's purse kit, I was itching to try another felting project. Thank goodness that I'd done Jill's project first!

I got this pattern for free on Ravelry. The knitting portion of the project was very easy to follow. I worked the project on 32" circulars and the only alterations I made were to make it a few inches taller than described and instead of purling in rounds after completing the bottom, I knit in rounds to practice my continental style. I doubt that knitting rather than purling made any appreciable difference, though.

Once it was complete, the directions said "Felt." If I hadn't done Jill's project, I wouldn't have known what to do! Felting knitting is completely different than felting wool fabric, which I do for my rug hooking projects. For one thing, felting wool fabric takes a lot longer and requires a cycle in the dryer. Felting knitting only takes 1 or 2 five minute wash cycles and there is no dryer involved. I formed the shape by pulling the project over a bucket. It stands open on its own.

Love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This would make a great gift for Mother's Day!!!

Your Mother