Wednesday, March 5, 2008

We Call Them Pirates


IMG_2178
Originally uploaded by lilybug1
My latest knitting project, let me show you it.

This is a hat I'm working on for Jim. I am enjoying it so much. It's a quick knit and the two color pattern keeps it interesting. Jim likes the skull and crossbones pattern, but he expressed a minor fear that people might think he was a role-playing game geek if he wears it. Duh...people would think he was a pirate geek, which is so much cooler!

This hat required something called a provisional cast on. I've never heard of it, but Ravelry had a helpful tutorial in its wiki, so I used that as a guide. Basically, I did a cast on that incorporated live stitches on a piece of waste yarn directly under the cast-on stitches. I've knit the outside of the hat, and the next step is to turn the hat upside down, put the live stitches on a circular needle, and knit the lining of the cap in the other direction! I have to pick up a US 1 circular needle before I can start the lining.

The only thing I would change about this project is the needle size. I used worsted weight wool instead of sport weight, and I think the hat would be a bit more roomy if I'd used US 4 needles instead of US 3. I tend to knit a little more tightly when I use two colors than I do when I'm working with one. Also, Jim's head is a bit larger than normal (this probably explains my two giant-headed babies). I'm going to wait and see how the fit is once the lining is stitched in. I may have to knit a second hat in a larger size for Jim and keep this one for myself!


If you are interested in this pattern, it is available for free here. If you visit Hello Yarn, check out the rest of the free patterns. I'm thinking of doing the Squirrel and Acorn Mittens next. And get thee to Ravelry, knitters. It is so worth it.

No comments: