Sunday, March 2, 2008

Today Was a Good Day

I love it when we have a good family day!

Jack woke up at 6:30 and his first word was "Bawberries" (strawberries). Of course he also woke up Lily, so the three of us went downstairs and let Jim sleep in for a bit. When Jim got up 2 hours later, he let me go up and sleep for a bit. Two well rested parents is a Very. Good. Thing!

Once everyone was up and showered, we decided to go to Cambridge and get dim sum at Mary Chungs. Jim eats there once a week and they have the best Suan La Chow Show (this is my best effort at spelling it). It's like crack -- once you taste it, you must have more. Since we tend to go into Chinatown for dim sum most of the time, it was a nice change. Also, the staff knows Jim pretty well, so they always give us and the kids a little extra attention, which is nice. Lily must have eaten about 10 steamer buns, including all the little squares of steamed cabbage they come on. We ended up asking for a second order of the buns because she had eaten most of the first order and wanted more. Even Jack (aka He Who Never Eats) ate crab rangoon, shu mai and some steamer buns. His big favorite was the Dun Dun Noodles that Jim ordered. They are VERY spicy, but since they put the noodles into the dish and put the spicy stuff on top, you can usually eat from the bottom of the noodles and get only some spiciness. Jack was shoving those noodles in like there was no tomorrow until he hit on one that was a little too spicy. Poor kid. He turned bright red and made some gagging noises. We got him to drink some water and he felt better, but he didn't eat anything else after that!

After lunch, we went to the local art store and picked up some art supplies for the kids. By the time we got hom, Jack was passed out in his car seat, so he went down for a nap. Lily and Jim worked on her art project and and I did some reading and a lot of work on the scarf pattern I'm trying to come up with. I actually managed to work out some of the bugs and now the scarf is about 1/3 finished. I've never made up a crochet pattern before, so I feel pretty proud of myself!

After Jack woke up, we all hung out in the living room and watched some Harry Potter while the kids played. Since we'd had such a late lunch, we opted for a soup and sandwich dinner. Everyone, even King Picky himself, ate some dinner. We had a little more family time, and then the kids went to bed without a fuss. Jim's off to his weekly cartoon night at a friend's house, so I had a few hours of peace and quiet to work on my scarf project.

With the exception of one little hissy fit this morning, Lily behaved like a model child. She shared with Jack, told him she loved him and even played with him. Jack was only fussy for a short time after he woke up from his nap soaked in drool. A change into dry clothing and a cup of milk fixed that problem. It really felt like I was doing something right as a parent and wife today. Why can't it be like this all the time?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy, I just love your blogs. Since we've been in FL, I'm using my laptop, and it has software I'm not familiar with. FINALLY, today, I figured how to save your site in "Favorites." Had a great visit with your folks...No one sick, no hurricanes, and we managed good temperature control! It's always lots of belly laughs. You might ask your mom about my potty stop on the golf course....Lots of love, Sharon