Thursday, July 3, 2008

Clap

My Clapotis is zooming right along. I got to drop two rows of stitches last night. It was exciting, yet kind of scary. Even though the pattern calls for it, I still felt a little unsettled purposely dropping stitches all the way to the bottom of the work!

Of course, I had the usual pointless interaction with my husband when he got home from his weekly "guys' night out":

ME: Do you want to see my shawl?

JIM: (with absolutely no enthusiasm) Okay.

ME: See how pretty it will be? (said as I'm taking the project out)

JIM: Oh, yeah! (said before I even get a chance to spread the work on the couch)

ME: See how I dropped two rows of stitches? See?

JIM: That's really nice (still with a notable lack of enthusiasm)

ME: Feel this yarn, feel it! Isn't it soft?

JIM: Yep.

ME: This will be really gorgeous when it's done.

JIM: What is it supposed to be again?

At this point, I usually shove everything back in the knitting bag and walk away to prevent myself from poking him with pointy needles.

He does not have the love for yarn. We had knitting night on Tuesday and several of us commented on how most men don't "get" the whole fiber thing. I love the way good yarn feels, especially alpaca. I'm always saying I would knit sheets out of alpaca just so I could be completely immersed in it every night. I am only slightly embarrassed to admit that I have two skeins of alpaca yarn bought solely for petting with no project in mind. Most men also don't seem to get the whole "I made this from a ball of string" aspect of knitting. I still get a thrill of amazement watching a project emerge. I want to run around telling everyone "Look at me! I'm making this! Out of STRING! Can you believe it? I took some sticks and some string and made THIS! Come on, feel it...." etc. If you're reading this, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, please note that, although I WANT to run around saying this, I don't actually do it. I don't want people to think I'm any more odd than they already do.

I will say this for Jim, he does get my need to have my obsessive hobbies and he never complains about how much I spend on them. He'll even suggest I make certain projects and tell me to get the yarn for them. Which is why I should really make the wool clogs he asked for in March. I swear, I'm going to cast them on as soon as I get rid of the Clap.

Get rid of the Clap! ha ha. See what I did there? Yeah, I'm a huge dork, which is why I try to hide my crazy crafting thing from the normal parents. I'm thinking of my kids and the potential for their future embarassment.

I'll post a picture later when I actually have one. Until then, you can simultaneously drool and feel horror while looking at the picture in this post about the beautiful Blue Heron yarn I'm working with for this project. Mine is in the Chesapeake colorway if you are interested. I cannot not praise this yarn too much. It's just gorgeous.

3 comments:

Ria said...

That yarn looks lush! My condolences about your husband - mine has a deal with me , if I won't ask him to look, every once in the while he'll ask me what I'm working on and be interested. He is good at untangling yarn for me - he tells his friends I was a kitten in a previous life ( not sure which way to take that, furry cute thing that plays with yarn - or the way most guys picture a kitten....) I don't have the consideration you do for your kids - i knit at all my daughters sporting events!

Ria

Harpa Jónsdóttir said...

..."he never complains about how much I spend on them."
That is really positive - isn´t it?

I would no dare to knit a my sons football matches - he really would not like it!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments, Ravelers!