Wednesday, July 30, 2008

This One Time, At Knit Night....

When things are going pretty well, do you ever feel like you're just waiting for the other shoe to drop? Just me?

The other shoe dropped last night. Ever since the whole Dorkmobile saga, things have been going quite smoothly. Life's been kind of fun, actually. There was the Great Yarn Expedition to New Hampshire, there was the Kool-Aid Dyeing Jamboree (more on that in a later post, with pictures!), there were the back-to-back knit nights on Monday and Tuesday, and Tuesday also happened to be one of my two "days off." And, despite a few bumps and rattles on take off, the Pinwheel Sweater I started on Monday is now about 1/3 of the way done, so that will make 5 Christmas gifts under my belt by the end of next week (I hope).

Anyway, life has been pretty good lately. Last night at Butterfly Yarns in Wakefield, I was hanging out with the knitting gals, chatting about the weird pasty and merkin patterns on Ravelry. (Don't know what a merkin is? Google it, you won't be sorry. Actually, you might be sorry, but it will be educational, I promise.) As usual, we traded crazy stories from our lives and I mentioned how much cleaning up vomit bothers me, and how Lily once berated me for making gagging noises when I cleaned up the stairs after she was sick all over them. I might have even said "I'll clean up any mess, bu vomit really bother me."

Fast forward to 3:30 am. Lily comes up stairs and wakes us up to tell us that Jack is crying. He is indeed crying because he has vomited all over himself and his bed. Jim handed Jack off to me and cleaned up the bed. After some random milling about and confusion, we all sleepily sorted ourselves out and went back to bed. Lily got in our bed upstairs with Jim (she refused to go back to her bed) and I got to sleep with Captain Puketastic downstairs.

Sleep. Not the best word to describe the evening Jack and I had. The poor little guy was sick several times during a two hour period. Unlike Lily, who vomits in a dispassionate, businesslike fashion, Jack hates vomiting. He cries and tries to resist the urge. He won't vomit into any type of receptacle and he resists and attempt to guide him toward a safe place to get sick, like a towel. I felt heartbroken for him, and at the same time, a little annoyed that he kept getting himself and me soiled due to his struggle against the inevitable. Neither of us slept until about 5am, when Jack actually fell asleep in mid-puke (you've gotta be pretty darn exhausted to do that!)

Sadly, before I could doze off, he woke up again. And so it went all night and most of this morning. He is still sick, poor little beggar. No play date for Jack and Lily, no play date for Mommy. No one is in a happy mood at our house today, and two of us are so tired we keep dozing off sitting up.

Honestly, when Jack gets this sick, it freaks me out. He is such a high energy, happy little boy that it is unnerving to see him listless on the couch. I hope he perks up later today, for everyone's sake.

6 comments:

cath said...

I hope he feels better soon!!! I hate that !!!

haddy said...

OH! I'm sorry. I hate puke. Hate it. I hope Jack gets better soon! It's such a nice day.

Kim said...

Poor little guy... I hope he feels better soon... and I hope your day gets better!

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks everyone! He's still a little pukey *sigh* and it's 3:30 pm. I think we can officially call it a stomach bug now.

Anonymous said...

Oh pukey kids is the worst! Pukey kids and a fever puts me in high anxiety mode! Hope you all get some sleep tonight and the puking subsides! Hugs to poor Jack!

Anonymous said...

Hope Jack (and you) are better today.