Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Justification

I'll just start out by coming clean and admitting I bought more yarn tonight. Two skeins. I really don't need any more yarn, and with the carpentry work we need done on the house (three windows need new trim out before we can paint) and Jim's car Jedi rejoining The Force, I shouldn't be buying it.

That's what got me thinking. Whenever I make an unnecessary purchase of yarn, I always have a reason. When I look back on it, there are a number of ways I routinely justify my purchases. I thought it would be interesting to list them out and really think about them.

1. I will use the yarn to make a Christmas gift.

This is one of my all time favorite justifications. Hey, it's actually necessary spending if it's for a gift because I will have to spend that money eventually anyway. Great justification, as long as I actually use the yarn for a gift. Sometimes the gift ends up going to me. Oops.

2. The yarn was on sale, so I actually saved money.

Doesn't this one sound good? I'm saving money! Yay! On the flip side, I could save even more money by not spending it in the first place. I try to ignore the flip side.

3. The yarn is being discontinued, so this is the last opportunity to buy it.

At first glance, this justification has a lot of merit. I won't be able to get this yarn again, so it's now or never. I might regret passing up the purchase for the rest of my life. On the other hand, there is always going to be more yarn. When one colorway retires, another will take its place. I will probably buy that one, too.

4. The yarn will be used for a specific project I have planned, so I'll be buying it eventually anyway.

In theory, this is a good justification. I know I'm going to make a certain sweater, so why not buy the yarn now, when I've just discovered the perfect color? In reality, it means one of two things: either I'm going to start yet another project without finishing the ones I already have going, or I'll squirrel away the yarn, forget about it, and then buy more yarn for another project.

5. I won't have a chance to purchase this yarn again.

This might be the best justification I've got. When I buy from a small vendor at an event, there is a good chance I won't have the opportunity again. I'm not big on buying things online unless I've seen them in person, so unless I run across this vendor in person again, I won't be buying the yarn. Of course, you could take this too far, but since I don't get out to wool related events that often, I think I'm safe.

6. Other knitters made me buy it.

Peer pressure. I like this justification a lot because I can blame my bad behavior on others! In reality, I think anyone who knows me also knows that no one makes me do anything I don't want to do. In fact, sometimes I encourage people to "pressure" me just so I can make a guilt free purchase.

7. This is an Authorized Yarn Purchase (AYP).

Every once and a while, Jim tells me to go ahead and buy something for a project. This is what I call an AYP, and it allows me to pretty much do as I like with no fear of consequences. Of course, just because it's an AYP doesn't mean I actually need it.

8. I had a bad day and I deserve it.

Pretty much the worst justification on the books. I have bad days A LOT. I don't think we can afford all the bad days I have. I only pull out this excuse a few times a year.

9. I'm getting credits towards a discount that will save me money!

Two of the stores I frequent offer a 20% discount after you reach a certain dollar amount in purchases. I am very close to the discount at one store, so I sometimes justify a purchase as working towards that goal. I try no to think about this one too much. If I do, I realize that I am spending money to get a discount, which I will use to buy yarn far more expensive than I would normally purchase. In the end I'm probably spending more than I would to begin with.

Today's purchase was a No. 1, 8 and 9 combo. I find that multiple justifications work well to eradicate any lingering guilt. If you'll excuse me, I have to go work on some Christmas knitting now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendy - I am familiar with most all of these justifications as they relate to scrap supplies. Which makes me wonder - will you be giving up your old hobby completely? Will you still be coming to the crop each month? I HOPE so. (You could always sit and knit while you're there!) Laurie

Unknown said...

I will always come to scrapping! It's the only time I get to see you guys!

Anonymous said...

You're a good read. I need to laugh more and be coached through my justification techniques. I'm a big proponent of the post purchase "out" of finding out that my husband bought something more expensive and unnecessary.

I also rely heavily on the lack of any other vices - I don't drink, I don't shop for clothes, I don't enjoy purchasing decorating knickknacks (which in my mind is just more "stuff" that needs to be cleaned around, I've NEVER hired a babysitter (which also means I've not eaten at an expensive restaurant in 8 years), I've quit seeing my therapist (two-fold justification - saving the copay and needing to replace with "retail therapy") and I can't remember the last time I got a speeding ticket. This doesn't relieve enough guilt so that I'm willing to use a credit card for a purchase (no records) and I still hide the goods, but it's all good and I'm quite sure that The Man would agree that "ignorance is bliss".

Unknown said...

Stick with me and I'll help you rationalize every purchase. It's one of my fortes.