Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Interview with Jack, Man of Few Words

This was my first attempt to interview Jack for the blog. I asked him in advance if he would do it and he eagerly hopped onto the couch next to me and watched me typing. I started with a softball question.

Me: What's your name?

Jack: This. (pointing at an icon on the screen). This. This.

Me: Can you tell me what your name is.

Jack: I have frocks (pointing at the word "this").

Me: Frocks? (I have no idea what he's trying to say)

Jack: Frocks. Frocks. (gets off couch) I go to my room.

Me: Where you going?

Jack: I'm going in my room. (He leaves and I hear his door close. A minute passes and he returns with a Thomas Tank Engine in his hand.)

Me: Are you ready to tell me what your name is?

Jack: Yeah. (Man, it's like pulling teeth to get this kid to talk)

Me: What is it?

Jack: Thomas.

Me: That's not your name. What's your name?

Jack: Thomas.

Me: Is Thomas your name?

Jack: Yeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh.

Me: What's your favorite color?

Jack: My color? My color name.

Me: What is it?

Jack: Thomas. This kind (pointing at the top of the train)

Me: You mean black?

Jack: Yeah, black.

Me: Are you going to school today?

Jack: No.

Me: Yes. You're going to play with friends, right?

Jack: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Me: Are you done with interview?

Jack: No, I want to watch it!

Me: Can you tell me a story?

Jack: Yeah.

Me: Well, what is it?

Jack: My story name boo shoo this. (I have no idea what he's saying)

Me: Your story's named what?

Jack: (no response)

(Fireman Sam then came on, so the interview ended)

No comments: