Friday, August 1, 2008

The Knitting's the Thing

It's been a while since I blogged about knitting, so here goes.



The Twisted Tree sweater is finished! The neck seemed a little small, so I tried it on Jack and Lily. Big mistake. Both kids have a larger than average noggin, and the neck was indeed too tight. Fortunately, one of my friends has a daughter with a normal noggin. The neck fit over her head just fine. Since I have no idea whether the intended recipient has a large or normal noggin, I decided I'll have to rip back the neck a couple of rows and redo the cast off in a stretchier version. The sweater is ready to block today, assuming I have time to get to it.



I also finished the Noro Hat! It's been a big week for me! I love the way the Noro hat came out. I'm definitely going to make another one for myself after the Great Christmas Marathon is over. My only complaint was the instructions concerning the second to last decrease. Now, I now my ability to read and properly interpret patterns is questionable, ever since the whole 5 US 2 needles thing (See this post for more info). Still, when I see (K1, K2tog) 12 times, it tells me I'm supposed to K1 and then K2 together, and then K1, and then K2 together, etc., etc., 12 times. The thing is, when you only start with 25 stitches, and need to get to 13, this instruction is NOT going to get you there. After several false starts and quite a bit of frogging, I finally K1 and then did K2tog 12 times. Voila! 13 stitches. So simple if you actually sit down and use math instead of pigheadedly knitting the row with the same mistake 5 times!



The Pinwheel Sweater is coming along so quickly it's like a miracle. It's been a while since I knit anything with size 9 US needles. I'm just blazing through it, even though I've been dealing with Captain Puketastic and Whiney Girl for the last few days. I have 8 more rows until the circle that forms the body of the jacket is finished. Then I just need to bang out the two sleeves and decide what I'm doing for trim. Here's my dilemma: the pattern calls for a looped i-cord around the circumference of the circle. I don't know why (perhaps it's the mind-numbing repetition), but I loathe knitting i-cord with the fiery intensity of a thousand suns. At the same time, I really like the way the trim called for by the pattern looks. I'm torn between sucking it up and doing i-cord or figuring out a crocheted trim that I like.

My next project will be a felted entrelac bag. I haven't tried entrelac yet, so I'm really excited to start. Plus, I bought some beautiful Elizabeth Austin Andes yarn, and I'm dying to see how it knits up.

3 comments:

cath said...

I-tol-ja (as my son would say) that pinwheel would zip along. Maybe a crochet edge. I don't do crochet, so I did a plain icord. Maybe next year will be the year to learn about crochet.

lisa said...

And you say I can't stop knitting! Wow you've finished and almost finished alot this week. You go girl! Christmas gifts will be done before you know it.

Anonymous said...

You are my IDOL!! Looky at all the FO's ::hangs her head in shame:: Keep up the good work.