Friday, August 22, 2008

Things I Didn't Know About My Kids

In the spirit of my recent post, here are a few things I learned this week about my own kids that I never knew before:

1. Lily has a boyfriend -- her friend Patrick. She advised us at dinner tonight that she would be "getting a new boyfriend" when she starts kindergarten. We were a little surprised, since we didn't know she had an "old boyfriend." She said "I will meet a new boyfriend and I'll have to get used to him." I am not so sure she fully understands the term "boyfriend." That's fine by me!

2. Jack's favorite song is "I kissed a girl" by Katy Perry. I linked to the YouTube video so you could hear the song lyrics (don't worry, Jack has not seen the video). The song was playing on my car radio yesterday and Jack suddenly piped up from the back "Dis my favorite song, Mama!" Who knew?

3. Jack's favorite house is a blue house in the Highlands.

4. Lily can read one of her "I can read" books from cover to cover. She came out in the living room last night and read the whole thing out loud. Kind of makes it difficult for her to continue claiming she can't read.

5. Lily likes having me at home better than when I was at work because "I take care of her better." Talk about a double edged sword of a compliment!

6. Jack will ask for something 27 times in a row, even if you tell him "no" the first time. Occasionally, he will leave the immediate area and then return and ask again. I think he believes that by going away, he can make me forget he already asked.

7. Jack can take off his pants and pull-up by himself. He did it during his "nap" on Wednesday. I have placed the word "nap" in quotations because he did not actually sleep. Not only did I find him naked from the waist down, but I couldn't located the diaper he removed for about ten minutes. He told me he "couldn't remember" where he threw it. I eventually discovered he had wedged it between his crib (where I was trying to get him to nap) and the wall. It was completely dry, so I'm not even sure why he removed it in the first place. When I got over to the crib, he said "Look at MEEEEEE!" with glee.

8. Lily is no longer afraid of water splashing on her face. She went on every kid's slide at Water Country, even the ones that took her through spraying water spouts.

9. Jack does not like getting splashed in the face. He really does not like it when Mama tries to "help" him by sliding down with him, and ends up throwing him face down into the water when she gets to the bottom of the slide. Actually, no one liked that whole incident. I don't think Jack will be trying a water slide for some time.

10. Lily is interested in learning to play badminton.

11. Jack's favorite color is green. Unfortunately, he uses "green" as his default name for any color he doesn't know, so "green" could mean anything. I guess what I learned is that he has a favorite color.

12. Jack is already planning his next birthday party. He wants cake and balloons. He informed Jim of his plans this morning as we went out to the car.

No comments: