Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy Jack

I'm finally starting to get back into my pre-holiday and pre-illness routine. Today, Jack and I dropped Lily off at school and went on our usual Monday errands -- grocery store, butcher shop and fishmonger. Jack spent the entire trip to the grocery saying "Papa - P! Papa - P!" We've been practicing letters and we told him his special letter is J, Lily's is L, Papa's is P and mine is W (or "doubles") as he calls it.

When we got to the store, Jack yelled "Shopping! Yay!" Is that my child, or what? Once we got inside, he pointed to everything he recognized and told me what it was -- apples, grapes, oranges (anj-ooos) and bananas. A lady heard him and was holding up her things for him to name. Then we stopped at the deli where his favorite deli worker gave him cheese. He said "Jackie LOVE cheeeeeese!" This is usually his favorite part of the trip. As usual, he sang to the music for most of the trip, pausing only to point things out, like chicken and juice.

One thing we've noticed him doing lately is talking in a whispery voice whenever someone other than his immediate family addresses him. He was singing and talking in a normal (even louder than normal) voice until a lady came up and said hello, at which time he practically whispered "Helloooooo." He also makes his voice get really high pitched when he does this. Weird.

I started this post yesterday, and it serves to remind me how quickly a toddler can go from a delight to a terror. Today, Jack was all about breaking and hitting things with any stick-shaped object he could get his hands on. If it weren't for the days when he was a sweet, weird little comedian who loves to cuddle with me, I don't know what I'd do.

No comments: